Forget the curve ball. Give 'em the heater!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Fantasy not featuring Natalie Portman


Last sunday I like millions of others fell under the fall spell of Fantasy Football. The particulars of my league are pretty common with 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF. With 12 teams in the league I found myself picking 9th, so I buckled down and tried to make the best version of the Palm Beach Colons yet.

Palm Beach Colons 2005 Roster

QB - Marc Bulger (5th rd 57th pick) While some people are down on Marc, I still trust that the combo of Holt and Bruce will be enough for Bulger to at least repeat his numbers from last year. My back up is Big Ben Roethlisberger, so let's hope Marc stays upright.

RBs - Jamal Lewis (1st rd 9th pick) Ahman Green (2nd rd 16th pick) My favorite pick just happened to be my first as Jamal Lewis was still on the board when 9 rolled around. I had anticipated choosing between Corey Dillon or Clinton Portis, but the team picking 7th took Daunte Culpepper (easily the biggest reach of my draft) letting me grab a top flight RB who at 25 years old still has alot in the tank, as well as a felony conviction in the offseason to overcome. Now my Ahman Green pick was a bit more suspect as Kevin Jones and Rudi Johnson were both available then, but I just feel that the Packers coming off a subpar offensive season will prove the naysayers wrong and make a turn around. If Green can reduce the number of fumbles this year my RB could be the rock of the Colons.

WRs - Reggie Wayne (3rd rd 33rd pick) Lee Evans (6th rd 64th pick) Mushin Muhammad (7th rd 81st pick) Plaxico Burress (8th rd 88th pick) Michael Jenkins (11rd 129th pick) Now my WR core is easily the softest part of my team but also the part with the most potential upside. Wayne is number one WR in a number two slot, and is one concussion to Marvin away from being Peyton's number one target. Evans, Muhammad, Plexi, and Jenkins all are predicated on the play of their perspective QBs. Can JP Losman get the ball to Evans? Will Kyle Orton who couldn't pass on Michigan, thread balls to Muhammad through NFL defensive backs? Is Eli's elbow healthy enough to spread around the ball between Plexi and Amani not a tumor? Is Michael Jenkins the WR who finally catches Mike Vick's attention? All of these questions are unanswered, leaving my WRs with tons of questions, but lots of possibilities.

TE - Tony Gonzalez (4th rd 40th pick) Now I usually shy away from taking the big time TEs, and prefer to try to grab a few good sleeper candidates at the position, but I couldn't pass on Tony G. Most drafts have him being taken between 27th and 33rd pick so seeing him still on the board at 40 was an easy pick. He won't dominate every week, but his numbers are hard to argue with, and you can't put a price on never worrying about your TE slot for the entire season.

K - If you really care about who my kicker is, then go outside and get some fresh air.

Def - see Kicker.

Good luck to all this year, and remember everyone's fantasies are different; mine just feature black men who weigh over 300 pounds.

- BL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home